Annual salary is $50-60K based upon experience
Reports to: Executive Director
Works with: Fundraising Team
Location: West Coast preferred. This is a full time telecommuting position.
Overview: Groundswell Fund is the largest funder of the U.S. Reproductive Justice (RJ) movement. For more than a decade, we have enabled foundations and individual donors to increase the impact of their giving by offering a different kind of philanthropic model. Different in who we are: A program staff of women of color who come directly out of community and labor organizing and have a combined 70 years + of grassroots organizing and civic engagement experience within communities of color; a board comprised of grassroots leaders shaping strategy alongside funders and donors. Different in who we support: Women of color (WOC), low income women, and transgender people who are organizing at the grassroots. Different in how we support the field: not just through grants, but also through capacity-building support focused on boosting grassroots power, and funder organizing that lifts up our grantees to a larger audience of funders and donors who can move resources to their work, whether or not these resources come through our doors. And Groundswell moves at least 80 percent of the dollars that come in our doors back out to the field.
In the past decade Groundswell has granted more than $22 million to the RJ movement; provided millions more in capacity building support to RJ organizations; increased the giving of dozens of national and local foundations and helped bring thousands of new individual donors into the RJ movement. Today, we support more RJ organizations than any other foundation in the country. Our grantees have moved from trepidation about participating in the political process to mobilizing thousands of voters and even seeing their own members run for office. They have been instrumental in the passage of more than 150 pro-RJ policies at the state and local level and blocking many regressive policies, and they have built a growing grassroots base of support for RJ across the U.S.
Fundraising Vision: Groundswell is committed to cultivating a vibrant and engaged, multiracial and multigenerational community of donors who connect their values to their resources. We believe generosity and intention go hand in hand with the success of the RJ movement and that giving at every level empowers individuals, families and entire communities to create a better world. Groundswell’s values around authentic and respectful partnerships undergird our relationships with grantees and donors alike. Our mission to support grantee organizations as they build their grassroots power, mirrors our fundraising mission; supporting the power of our donors through learning about RJ and collaborating for greater collective impact.
The Development Associate works closely with the Executive Director to support the growth and stewardship of Groundswell’s vibrant and engaged individual donor and foundation funder community. The Development Associate is responsible for the administrative and written communication aspects of individual donor management, including maintenance of the donor database, tracking and acknowledging all donor contributions, writing and copyediting content for, and managing communications to donors via direct mail, email, social media, general donor correspondence, and our website. The position will also include writing or teaming with a grant writer to produce proposals, reports and managing the development calendar to ensure timely submission of proposals and reports.
REPORT WRITING & PROPOSAL DEVELOPMENT
• Develop and write (or team with the grantwriter to write) high-quality reports and proposals to help raise the organization’s $8 million annual budget, persuasively communicating Groundswell’s mission and programs to potential and existing funders.
• Manage the calendar of reporting and proposal deadlines for foundations and individual donors to ensure timely submission of all.
• Conduct periodic research on key foundations and provide staff members with concise, snapshot analysis.
• Creatively design procedures, processes and systems to support our donor engagement program.
• Maintain Groundswell’s donor database to ensure all donor information is current and well organized, ensuring data integration and quality control functions in the database.
• Forward donor inquiries to the appropriate Groundswell staff members in a timely and professional manner.
• Manage direct mail, including the solicitation and procurement of strategic mailing lists, the production of content for mail pieces, and distribution.
• Make sure that all donors receive quality and timely communications, including thank you letters, quarterly newsletters, and an annual meeting with the Executive Director or the appropriate member of Groundswell’s program staff.
• Cull and synthesize notes and records in donor files and brief Groundswell staff prior to donor visits.
• Document all fundraising campaigns and provide monthly ROI reports to staff team.
• Generate reports such as dashboards, mailing lists, monthly revenue projections, donor contacts, pledges, and actual v. projected to monitor major gifts and other funding programs.
• Work with finance on a monthly biases to ensure grants and proposals reconcile between the donor and accounting databases.
• Manage ongoing updates to Groundswell’s website
• Write or copy edit content for donor communications via mail, email, and social media.
• Experience working in social justice movements.
• Undergraduate degree.
• At least two years of experience with direct mail programs.
• Excellent, strong, persuasive writing skills.
• Familiarity with donor management database systems; Microsoft Dynamics, Salesforce.
• Demonstrated ability to engage in strategic analytical thinking and planning.
• Excellent organizational skills with the ability to work gracefully under pressure.
• Ability to work both independently and within a team on multiple projects and across several time zones.
• Demonstrated ability to conduct research and effectively communicate findings.
• Ability to work within social media (FaceBook, Twitter, etc.) and basic web platforms.
• Impeccable judgment and discretion in dealing with sensitive information.
• Committed to Groundswell’s mission.
• At least 2 years project management experience.
• Excellent computer skills with expertise in MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
Compensation/Benefits: Annual salary range is $50,000 to $60,000. This is a full-time, exempt position. Very generous benefits include fully paid for employee and family health, dental, vision, and matching 401K plan. Three weeks of vacation upon hire and a generous holiday schedule including the last week of December, as well as a flexible work schedule.
To Apply: Please email a resume, three professional references and a cover letter that includes your salary expectations and describes why you feel you are a strong candidate for this position to: Beverly Avery, Executive Assistant, at: firstname.lastname@example.org by September 2, 2016. No phone calls, please. Due to the high volume of applications, only those selected for further discussion will be contacted.
Equal Employment Opportunity: The Groundswell Fund is a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and that enables each of us to realize our potential. Our work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of races, ethnicities, national origins, ages, sexual orientations, gender identities, beliefs, religions, faiths and ideologies, cultures, socio-economic backgrounds and levels of physical ability